Home About Us

About Business and Professional Women of Iowa

History of Business and Professional Women of Iowa

Business and Professional Women of Iowa was first formed on April 5, 1920, and consisted of six organizations and 48 members. The first local organization to pay both state and national dues was the chapter in Waterloo. Chapters in Clinton, Cedar Rapids, Mason City, Boone and Des Moines soon followed.

In 1924, the Restated Articles of Incorporation were adopted at the annual meeting, and are currently filed in Floyd County. Mrs. W.D. Ives of Waterloo was the first president.

BPW Iowa has always been an integral part of the National Federation (BPW/USA).  In 2009, BPW/USA merged with the national BPW Foundation.

Business and Professional Women of Iowa remains a legacy partner with the national BPW Foundation, http://bpwfoundation.org/, the first foundation and research center in America dedicated exclusively to the interests and advancement of working women.

Business and Professional Women of Iowa advocates for women’s issues

At Business and Professional Women of Iowa, we strive to create awareness about women’s issues such as health care and economic equality. We do this through not only advocacy at the legislative level, but also through programs and events. Some of these include Equal Pay Day, National Business Women’s Week and workshops and speakers at our annual meeting each spring. We keep our members up-to-date on the latest legislative issues and encourage them to be involved at the grassroots level. Business and Professional Women of Iowa supports the bipartisan effort of 50-50 in 2020, http://50-50in2020.org/, which seeks to give women political equality in Iowa.

With the abundance of benefits, why not become a member today? Visit our membership page to find out how.